Wood has been used extensively for handicrafts. From simple boxes door things to wooden signs for the decoration of environments. It is something that has become more and more interesting day and day part of the people.
The cool thing is that in addition to the possibility of buying ready, you can also do it yourself and paint the wood the way you want, giving that unique and personal touch.
Also, if you have some old furniture at home that you want to turn into something new, you can bet on painting to make this renovation.
Are you interested in learning how to paint wood? Check out our tips to help with this task:
How to Paint Wood: 6 Steps to Preparation Before You Begin
Before painting a piece of wood you must prepare the furniture or object to receive the new painting. Mainly involves something old that you intend to reform.
For the preparation of the wood you must:
- Remove old paint . This step should be taken into account only when it involves a used mobile or object that has been previously painted.
- Put wood dough in cracks or other imperfections . This step is important to prevent this defect from becoming apparent after painting.
- Sand the wood . Start with a thicker sandpaper and finish with a finer sandpaper. The idea is to make the surface smooth and easier to paint.
- With a damp cloth wipe the wood . It is also interesting to pass a vacuum cleaner to remove any dust - or other sandpaper - that has been left there.
- Protect parts of wood you do not want to paint . For this you can use crepe tape or duct tape.
- Apply primer . It will help to make the paint easier and also make the paint set faster in the wood. The primer can be latex and you can apply with the help of a brush or spray.
Types of wood paint
There are three types of paint that are used for wood painting: latex paint, acrylic paint and nitrocellulose lacquer paint. Each of them has a different function, as you will see below:
1. Latex paint
Water-based, it is very common for home-made paintings, especially when the idea is to work with crafts. Can be applied with brushes or rollers. It is suitable for wooden objects that will stay away from moisture and direct sunlight.
2. Acrylic paint
Similar to latex paint, except that wood is better secured and waterproof. It is a good choice for wooden furniture that will stay out of the house or for very humid spaces such as the bathroom or the laundry room.
The paint can be made with roller, brush and even with paint gun.
3. Nitrocellulose lacquer paint
Nitrocellulose is the basis of this paint that easily attaches to the wood and is quick drying. It has more color options and can appear as matte or bright. It is not soluble in water and requires the use of protective equipment for painting.
It also requires that you have a suitable environment to make the paint and use pistol and compressor indicated for the process.
After finishing the painting of the wood you must take care to ensure that the paint fits well and the final result is expected.
When you finish painting you can:
1. Apply sealant
The idea here is to ensure that the wood exposed to the sun or outdoors lasts longer and does not lose the gloss of the paint. However you need to ask a seller if the sealant can be passed over the paint you have chosen.
Latex paints for example do not usually work with some sealants and you may end up spoiling your paint.
It is worth commenting that most of the paints today are more resistant and already have in their composition products that guarantee a better fixation and duration. Then assess whether it really is necessary to apply the sealant.
On average, three coats of sealant are required to ensure a good fixation of the product. In any case, follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
2. Application of varnish
The varnish is also used in the finalization of painting in wood, usually with the purpose of giving brightness to the object or furniture.
Just like the sealant, it also works as an extra protection. Before applying, see if the paint chosen does well with varnish and if application is really necessary.
If the goal is to give shine, you can bet on glossy paints rather than matte ones.
If you still want to apply the varnish, even after using a glossy paint, two coats are sufficient to leave the wood beautiful and protected.
When finishing the painting you can also sand the piece of wood again. This time bet on fine sandpaper and do not push hard.
The idea is just to take out small irregularities and also prepare the wood to receive the sealant or varnish.
7 Important Recommendations on Wood Painting
- Use soft brushes for wood painting. Dry brushes should be used only to cover strokes.
- Paint rollers can be used only when you use latex or acrylic paint. They are suitable for larger woods to make the process faster.
- Wear a protective mask when handling any paint. Even in those that are soluble in water. In this case it is possible to bet on simple masks.
- When using nitrocellulose lacquer paints, wear protective clothing, have a space dedicated only to paint, put on goggles and mask with carbon filter respirators. A paint booth is also required.
- Wear a mask even when scraping wood already painted. The old tincture may contain toxic elements.
- In addition to the sandpaper you can bet on a rigid spatula to make the old paint scraping.
- If you need to apply dough to wood prefer a soft spatula to help in the process.
Now you know how to paint wood! Did you see how easy the process is can be done at home with the help of simple materials? Do not forget to show us how the result was!